Thursday, June 13, 2013

Fathers and the circle of family

in 'A Soulful Seniors Moment'

Tumble 2012 12"x12" 2012
The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small.
A Canadian Artist, Hollis Baptiste, once told me,  ‘When our parents die, it makes you want to be a better person.’

You can view the works of Hollis Baptiste on http://www.absolutearts.com/portfolios/p/piece/.


My advice to men who are fatherless has always been to adopt a father, a man who perhaps always wanted to have a child, but for whatever reason did not. There is also Big Brother.

The Circle of Family - Ink on Mulberry - 2013
Here is an excerpt from Pinball Clemens' bio on Wikipedia:
'Clemons also became the first black head coach to appear in a Grey Cup game in 2004 CFL season and would go on to be the first black head coach to win a Grey Cup championship during that same Grey Cup game, while also being the second ever to have guided his team to a pro-football championship in North America. (Darren Arbet of the San Jose SaberCats was the first to do so in 2002 with an ArenaBowl XVI victory.) After accomplishing this, Clemons downplayed the milestone achievement. "To tell you the truth, I don't know what it means to the first Black coach in the (Grey) Cup and to win it. I know that I can't do anything by myself, and on my own strength I'm very little good. Anything I accomplish has to be with the aid of individuals, and this team became like a family and is a family, it had very little to do with the colour of my skin".'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinball_Clemons
Now, here’s a funny story. Many moons ago, a pal of mine from high school moved to Calgary. He didn’t know anyone in the city. His mother had just died. That's when we got back in touch. I had a huge crush on this man. But, alas. It didn't work out.

This, old pal, B was also a very great friend of mine. He reminded me of one of my patrons, also a B. I sent them a link to a performance in Calgary starring Ms Brueggergosman.

I suggested that they go together. They were both in the legal profession. One started his own law firm, the other was in law school. Both men were straight.
Read more here about Measha Brueggergosman.

I never did ask if they met up and I have yet to see her in concert.



The founding partner at the law firm, who shall remain B, was quite grateful for that. They reminded me of each other. I thought if the corporate lawyer had a son, he would have grown up to be a man just like my high school pal whom I heard is now missing, which breaks my heart.

I gave that client a copy of this image. I noticed years ago that young, intelligent men were finding it difficult to learn at a university level. The last time I saw the subject of this work of art. He was a bartender downtown. A strong, intelligent resourceful man with musical talent. I'm surprised he didn't end up studying law.

My Friend Wants To Be A Lawyer - 11" x 14" - 2002
Education is expensive and a challenge, but very rewarding upon graduation. Even if you graduate into a recession as I have twice. Bastardo!

Have a look at https://www.coursera.org/ for free online university level courses. This network was designed by a man who believes that education should be accessible to all regardless of income level or class. It's a great way to see if you are ready for university.

The mandate of coursera is: 'We believe in connecting people to a great education so that anyone around the world can learn without limits.'

And here's an interesting lecture by Ken Robinson via Ted Talks in which he speaks about education in relationship to the arts. Ted Talks is a free online service with several inspiring and interesting lectures on a multitude of subjects.

He mentions Picasso who said, 'All children are born artists. The problem is to remain an artist as we grow up.'
 
Happy Father’s Day to all the Fatherless men and to all the men who are Dads.

And here is a piece by Bryan Robinson: We need to talk about injustice, which I found deeply inspiring.






No comments:

Post a Comment