Friday, April 18, 2014

Patois, Oxtail and Art

Patois - 11"x14" - $500 | 2014

One thing I love is a good oxtail dinner, so I keep forgetting to try the shrimp dish at Patois Jamaican Restaurant in Pickering. It’s worth the drive and parking is free if you feel like eating where the staff is friendly, the food is amazing and the atmosphere is great. Wonderful music plays as you dine in a casual setting. And even more wonderful… my art is now hanging on their walls. Smile!


Patois Jamaican Restaurant
1286 Kingston Road,
Pickering, ON
Canada
L1V 1B7
905 492 8492

I met with the owners to discuss hanging my work and they asked me if I could integrate Patois in my art exhibition. This was a struggle as I barely speak it. My parents spoke the Queen’s English at home and we were corrected like crazy growing up so that our English would be impeccable. Lucky for me, Google helped.

Using that as my inspiration, I was able to illustrate some of the proverbs in ink and scratchboard.


When I exhibited in St. Vincent and the Grenadines in 2000, I had a great time. One of my favourite shows was at Laambi’s Yatch Club on Union Island. There I created pastel drawings of a Calypso band that performed. There were four musicians and a dancer. The dancer was very acrobatic. He did hand stands and walked on broken glass while wearing a tight leotard.
Jump Up - 11"x14" - $500 | 2000

The music was incredible. I drew images with bright colours on natural paper ­– now on exhibit at Patois Jamaican restaurant.

I packed up my Swiss Army luggage, and headed out for Patois Jamaican Restaurant. I took the #92 Go Bus from York Mills Station. It comes pretty regularly. I got off at Glenanna and walked back on the opposite side of the street to Patois Jamaican restaurant. Parking is free if you choose to drive there.

The customers are great there too. Very friendly. When I saw them smirk at my luggage, (large enough to accommodate a months stay overseas), I told them it was my wagon.
“Where are you headed?” One of the customers asked.
“To Toronto.” I said.
“Really, I’m from Toronto.”
“Can you give me a lift back?”
“On Sunday, I can.”
Everyone laughed. “A” was on his way to a meditation retreat just up the street. He bought some jerk chicken to meditate on during his three-day stay. A perfect combination!

Speaking of meditation, I finally found a great cd to meditate to. I was on my way to Ikea to buy some frames for the show at Patois. There was a man playing strings at Sheppard-Yonge station. The music was so beautiful that I bought on of his cds and have been playing it all weekend. The artist’s name is Leo Chi Zhang. You might find him at Sheppard Station. I’m really happy that the TTC allows buskers to perform!
Stay tuned about an event at Patois Jamaican Restaurant.

For now, I’m preparing for the North Toronto Group ofArtists Artwalk.
Saturday May 3 and Sunday May 4, 2014
11-5pm
For more details please click the link below.

Looking forward to Spring weather!!!!!!!

Ole Fiyah Tick - 11"x14" - $500 | 2014


Cheers,


No comments:

Post a Comment